Thursday, March 19, 2009

Gardening with pets in mind

I love my animals. I have two dogs and three cats, all very spoiled. So when it came to my garden I had to keep them in mind.

( Lucia and Yoshimmy enjoying some cool shade in the summer time.)


For about 4 years I gave up gardening. My mom had passed away and it left me severely depressed. Gardening was something she and I did together since I was a child. When I finally decided to start up on the garden again I noticed that the animals had made trails all around our yard. Instead of digging these trails up I let them become natural paths in the garden. They still use the paths and rarely trample on the flower beds themselves.


(Mika enjoying a stroll through the garden.)

Last winter there was a sever wind storm that knocked down a rather large tree. My dad cut most of the branchs off and was waiting to get his chainsaw blade sharrped before attacking the trunk. I noticed how much the cats loved the fallen tree. They would run and jump on it to evade pursuing pooches, lounge like leopards or use it to sharpen their claws. I decided to leave it and plant flowers around it for them.


( The cat lounging station )


( Phinnaeus taking a dirt bath  in the path they made through my mound garden...I did not plan it to have a path right down the center but they thought it would be a good idea. )

If you have pets and it doesn't look too horrible then do try to incorporate things in the garden that they can use. After all, they use the backyard more then we do anyway! :) 

2 comments:

tina said...

So sorry about your mother. Gardening has a way of joining us all together and it is so good you can remember her thru your gardening. Pets are extra special friends in the garden too. We love all of ours and I see you do too!

Dia de los diy said...

Our front yard is the cat hub of the neighborhood. I have yet to put much effort into it and there are a lot of overgrown bushes and grasses that the neighborhood cats love to nap and socialize in.

Post a Comment